2018 Culinary & Wine Tours with Umbrian Master chefs and local cooks
Join us for a spectacular week savoring the great tastes of Umbrian cuisine and wine
April 19-27: Freshness of spring
July 4-12: Garden delights
October 13-20: Autumn in Umbria
October 21-28: Olive harvest
Hands-on and demonstration lessons with extraordinary local chefs in their own kitchens as well as great local cooks in Palazzo Fiumi-LaPlaca’s fabulous kitchen. (That means you won’t just be watching.) Meet artisanal producers, visit an organic farm, go on a truffle hunt, watch cheese being made, see prosciutto and sausage preparation, tour spectacular hill towns, enjoy fantastic meals, wine tastings, and much more.
• two places available for the Autumn in Umbria tour
• For our Olive Harvest tour you will spend a day in the orto collecting olives, as well as enjoying a wonderful barbeque, and then visit an olive mill where we will see the olives being pressed into liquid sunshine.
Beautiful accommodations in a restored 17th-century palazzo in the heart of Umbria.
8-Day Tour Autumn in Umbria package: $3000 per person
7-day Olive harvest package special price of $2250 per person
(Double occupancy in shared apartment or B&B room. If space permits, for groups up to 8, there will not be a single occupancy charge.) Airfare is NOT included
• accommodations for 7/8 nights at Palazzo Fiumi-LaPlaca in Bettona;
• all classes with local chefs and cooks;
• daily guided tours, all entrance fees;
• all but (possibly) one meal out (there might be a lunch on your own);
• wine tasting at 2 to 3 fabulous local wineries
• olive oil tasting at the renown Decimi frantoio;
• Cheese making demonstration (in season) or cooking lesson at a local agriturismo;
• Truffle hunt followed by a wonderful rustic lunch including a pasta dish with truffles;
• pick up and return to airport (to meet one flight each way).
Tour will accept up to 8 people.
Not available for these special tours? Plan your own customized tour whenever you want. All-inclusive tours are available mid-April–mid-November for 4 to 8 people.
For more information write email@example.com
Sample Lessons: Great chefs, cooks, and friends
• Villa Roncalli, Foligno: The most raved about event of the week is always our lesson with Maria Luisa Scolastra of Villa Roncalli. She usually starts us off with amazing frittata with garden vegetables followed by one or two amazing pastas, then something roasted (last time roast pigeon in a fabulous sauce), then something pork maybe in a Sagrantino (wine) reduction, and finally a special Maria Luisa’s dolce. You will rave about it too.
• Dear friends drop in lessons: Usually one or more friends stop by to share some of their favorit recipies. Luisella Reale, famous in Bettona for just about everything, often will teach us two dolce recipes — maybe torta della nonna and a crostata, Umbrian style made with olive oil. Roberto Piergiovanni, the chef of Bettona’s exceptional Sagra del’Oca (goose festival held each summer) will teach us his classic sugo del’oca (goose sauce) that is to die for. Hand made umbricelli (fresh eggless pasta) will also be taught.
• Truffle hunt: Nothing is more fun than a morning walk through the woods above Spoleto with two young truffle dogs leading the way. A spectacular addition to our spring and autumn tours you’ll won’t want to miss
• Farm visit: Guests will spend a morning visiting the organic farm in nearby Collazzone, specializes in responsible meat production — Chianina beef, lamb, pigs, and chickens — raised with an absolute commitment to a healthy farm to table philosophy. Tour the farm, see prosciutto preparation, understand the curing process, and watch sausage being made.
• Cheesemaking workshop: Guests love watching cheese being made at Agriturismo Angelucci in nearby Collemancio. Join Roberta and Petronilla, and their mother and taste fresh caciotta and ricotta while still warm. (Lesson in season.)
• Michael LaPlaca, your host, will certainly be in the act sharing some of the Palazzo Fiumi-LaPlaca’s special recipes like pannacotta with fresh fruit and vin santo, an amazing torta Caprese, as well as pepperoni jam, and other seasonal treats. His pasta workshop will focus on filled pastas leading to a relaxed dinner at the palazzo.
Yes and there’s wine too
In addition, an equally important part of every culinary tour, the group will visit two or three, local wineries (Cantina Dionigi, Arnaldo Caprai, or Paolo Bea) for tours and tastings.
Accommodations in a restored 17th century palazzo in the small hill town of Bettona situated between Assisi and Perugia. A variety of options for shared and private rooms are available and, if desired, additional private rooms are available in the town’s hotel, a few blocks away. Most lessons will be held in the palazzo’s wonderful kitchen with dining in the spacious rooms of the “piano terra.” (Accommodations for additional days are available for those who wish to stay longer or arrive earlier.)
For more information write firstname.lastname@example.org